Tim Surrett was born and raised in Canton, NC. With music being a big part of Tim’s life and seeing the power of music as a ministry, Tim climbed on a bus right out of high school and began a musical career that would bless him with many opportunities. Tim has played on several of the most prestigious stages in the music business like the Grand Ole Opry, Carnegie Hall and the Ryman Auditorium. Tim has also had the honor of playing and recording with some of the most talented people in the music industry such as Tony Rice, Doyle Lawson, JD Crowe, Adam Steffey, Ralph Stanley, Larry Sparks, Paul Williams, The Kingsmen, The Inspirations, Squire Parsons, Danny Roberts, and many more. Among these opportunities, Tim has also been honored with many awards such as the Singing News Fan Awards Favorite Musician of the Year.
In 1991 Tim and his friend Mickey Gamble formed a new recording company called ‘The Mountain Home Music Company.” The label is now one of the premier labels in Bluegrass. “Mountain Home” now includes: Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, The Grascals, The Lonesome River Band, The Boxcars, Crowe, Lawson, and Williams, Darin and Brooke Aldridge, and Balsam Range.
Tim is also a staff producer for Pisgah Ridge Records and Organic Records. Recent productions include: NewTown, Mountain Faith, Flatt Lonesome, The Harper Family, Red June, and Balsam Range.
Tim is an active studio player as well, playing recently for Crowe, Lawson, and Williams, Danny Roberts, Jeff and James Easter, and Red June.
- GHS Strings
- Frank Harlow Resonator Guitars
- K and K Pickups
- Blue Chip Picks
- Bishop’s Violin Shop
- D’Addario Upright Bass Strings
- 2015 IBMA Bass Player of the Year
- Seven-time winner of “Favorite Gospel Music Band” with the Kingsmen in the Singing News Fan Awards.
- Featured on the song “Wish You Were Here,” #1 on the Southern Gospel charts from May-Aug 1992 and Song of the Year in the 1992 Singing News Fan Awards.
- Named Favorite Southern Gospel Musician in the 2004 and 2005 Singing News Fan Awards
- Member of the Southern Gospel Hall of Fame as a member of the Kingsmen
- Multiple IBMA award honors with Balsam Range
- Squire Parsons (2 years) – playing bass, singing baritone
- The Isaacs (6 years) – playing dobro and guitar
- The Kingsmen (10 years) – singing lead and baritone and playing bass, acoustic and electric guitars, and dobro
- Balsam Range – playing bass and dobro
Tim has performed live concerts with:
- The Tony Rice Unit
- Don Rigsby
- J.D. Crowe
- Paul Williams
- Larry Cordle
- Bobby Osborne
- Dale Ann Bradley
- Larry Sparks
- The Primitive Quartet
- Vince Gill
- The Inspirations
- Ronnie Bowman
- Rhonda Vincent
- Brad Paisley
- Keith Urban
- Bill Gaither Homecoming Series